r* commands don't work

Hi,

I sent a message about this when I had the problem at my
last job.  I left the job before ever resolving this.  I'm
at a new job now and I'm trying to integrate linux somehow
into our environment.  I plan on using linux for some minor
development at first, just to get some linux machines in
there.  However, I still can't get the r* commands to work.
I do this every day on Solaris, SunOS, and formerly HP-UX.
Can someone tell my why this doesn't work?  I can't even get
two linux boxes to talk to each other much less a Sun box.

I opened up .rhosts for root, hosts.equiv for everyone else,
and even .rhosts for myself, but to no avail.  I have no
hosts.allow or hosts.deny file, nor am I using tcpd at all.
Host names resolve via DNS or /etc/hosts with no problem.  I
tried having the hostname returned by uname -n be fully
qualified just in case the linux r* commands are picky about
that, but they shouldn't be with a + in these files!
Nothing works, and its pretty annoying.  It really renders
the project useless if I can't get root access without
needing passwords since I need to do stuff in scripts.  I
need rsh as well as rdist capabilities.  Ssh is not an
option at the moment, and really isn't the issue anyway.

Shouldn't this just work??  What can I do to provide useful
debuggin information?  auth.log and daemon.log give standard
permission denied crap.  I modified inetd.conf to have:

login           stream  tcp     nowait  root /usr/bin/strace \
/usr/bin/strace -fv -o/tmp/OUT /usr/sbin/in.rlogind

(the line continuation is just for this mail, its not in
the file).  I modified rshd similarly.  I have the strace
files, but they didn't shed any light on it from my house.
I'd be glad to send them to someone who would be able to
make better use of them.  I'm open to any other suggestions
as well.

By the by, all other network related communications work OK,
including YP client services, NFS, telnet, ftp, http, imap,
ldap, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto