Re: Server Questions (fwd)

On 26 Feb 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

: Nathan Norman writes:
: > The thing is, I doubt we'd ever place a support call.
:
: They all say that :)

Yes, they do :)  However, we have BSDI support right now, and I view it
as a "last resort" type thing ... in the past, the questions I've sent
to them were never answered (SCSI driver failures, specifically).

Point taken though :)

: > However ... my boss wants to have "someone we can call for support when
: > it doesn't work".  This person, persons, or company would preferably have
: > some sort of documentation as to who they are and why we ought to pay
: > them when we call them.
:
: I'm familiar with the phenomena.  I'd happy to take your money, but I
: suspect that your boss wants to see a glossy brochure that says Debian
: Support, Inc. on the cover and lists dozens of Fortune 500 customers.

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head.

: It does seem like there is a business opportunity here.  A network of
: consultants around the world could handle the phone calls and emails while
: somebody with marketing skills fronted for them.

Exactly.  So, why isn't someone doing this?  (You could make a hell of a
lot of money).

Thanks John.  You've stated very concisely the issue at hand.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104