Remote OpenGL applications

A co-worker is installing Debian alongside NT on his new machine.
He has asked if Debian (in X11R6) can display a remote application
from an SGI machine that uses the OpenGL library.  When we tried
to do such a thing on my machine (up-to-date hamm), it would fail
with many - Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "shroom.lanl.gov:0.0".
errors.  I do have the mesa2g package installed, but I am not sure
that has anything to do with the solution to this problem.
Can such a thing be done?

Thanks very much for any assistance,

Paul Rightley