Re: mgetty voice/fax/data

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:

> Well, I don't do anything like this yet (my modem isn't fancy enough),
> but here's how I read the mgetty info pages:
>
> Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com> writes:
>
> > For caller id, what format does mgetty expect it to be in?  My modem
> > supports 'readable format' (#CID=1) and 'ascii printable characters in
> > hex' (#CID=2).  Also, how do I tell mgetty to use caller id and look at
> > the dialin.config file?
>
> Looking at the mgetty info pages, I'd guess that the readable format
> is your best bet; mgetty will use caller ID automatically if your
> modem supports it and if there's anything in the /etc/dialin.config

/etc/dialin.config or /etc/mgetty/dialin.config (Debian package)?  A
default file is in /etc/mgetty, but mgetty seems to ignore it and aways
answer the phone..  I have "!all" on the last line.

> file.  Also, the docs warn that you need to have mgetty connect only
> after the second ring, as that's when caller ID information is often
> sent.  (I think this might be modem-specific)

No, caller id is handled by the phone company.  They send the information
between the first and second ring.

> > Finally, how can I monitor what mgetty is doing?  I want smbclient to send
> > a message with the caller id strings to another machine when a voice call
> > is detected.
>
> Monitor the mgetty logs (/var/log/mgetty/mg_ttyxx) - another option is
> to figure out what mgetty sends to syslog, and set up a fifo to catch
> that.  For example, adding:
> *.*	|/etc/mgetty/syslog.fifo
> to /etc/syslog.conf, then doing
> mkfifo /etc/mgetty/syslog.fifo
> and then having some program read lines out of /etc/mgetty/syslog.fifo
> will allow that program to see anything that gets logged (by any
> program) to the syslog.  You'll probably want to narrow down the *.*
> to what you actually need once you figure out what class and severity
> of the relevant mgetty messages are.

The problem with that method is that I'd need to have a high level of
debugging for mgetty to even show the modem responces (caller id info,
etc)..   Several months ago, someone told me another way, but I lost the
message..

Thanks
-Paul