Re: problems while updating packages with dpkg

On Tue, Feb 24, 1998 at 04:37:01AM +0100, José LuisGarcía Pacheco wrote:
> Hello,
> Sometime ago I got the Debian GNU/Linux 1.1.4.Sept96 release. Working
> with it, I managed to set up my little system at home.(I was very proud
> of myself ;-)).
> Two months ago, I borrowed from some friends the Debian 1.3.1. release.
> Eagerly :-) I began updating packages, installing this, purging that,...
>
> In the middle of the fun, it ocurred to me that it could be interesting
> to have the new dpkg package(s) on my system. So I installed
> dpkg1.4.0.8.deb, dpkg_cross_0.1.deb, dpkg -dev_1.4 and dpkg_ftp_1.9.8,
> well the dpkg-related packages appearing in my new distribution.
>
> A few days ago, I ran 'dpkg -l' and I got a message reading something
> like 'problems while parsing /var/lib/dpkg/available'. I realized that
> this database was corrupted!. Lots of package info lines were repeated
> even twice or more times. I tried to restore it (by hand) and finally I
> achieved to leave it "operative" (that means I can do dpkg -l, -s,
> -iGOEB, --purge,... ) but there are still repeated lines (that someday I
> will have to delete).
> The question is : is there somebody out there with an idea of what
> happened in my sistem?. Could it happen again and under what
> circunstances?.

Maybe a corrupted Packages file was installed?

If it is only available that got messed up, then it shouldn't be too bad.
Every day I do:

dpkg --update-avail Packages
dpkg --merge-avail Non-Free
dpkg --merge-avail Contrib
dpkg --merge-avail Non-US

(Non-Free etc are the Packages.gz files (uncompressed) from the non-free
section). The first line replaces available with the Packages file, the
other three lines add the other packages in.

PS: Please only post to one mailing list - debian-user is the right one in
this case.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS