Re: Cyrix 586/100

Matthew Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk> writes this day 24 Feb 98:

> Can anyone tell me if this processor is compatible with debian, and if
> any special installation procedures will be required?
from installing debian
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html

Cyrix CPUs and Floppy Disk Errors

Many users of Cyrix CPUs have had to disable the cache in their systems
during installation, because the floppy disk has errors if they do not. If
you have to do this, be sure to re-enable your cache when you are finished
with installation, as the system runs much slower with the cache disabled.

We don't think this is necessarily the fault of the Cyrix CPU. It may be
something that Linux can work around. We'll continue to look into the
problem. For the technically curious, we suspect a problem with the cache
being invalid after a switch from 16-bit to 32-bit code.

Richard B. Talley <olny@nmia.com>

"Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to
be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading
a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network."
-Tim Berners-Lee in Technology Review, July 1996
quoted at 'Best Viewed With Any Browser' http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/