Re: new hamm nmh breaks header rewriting, isp becomes irate

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:43:39 EST, wrote:
> kotsya@u.washington.edu (David Stern) writes:

> The most likely explanation is that nmh has started adding Sender:
> lines; this is in general a good thing - we just need to be careful to
> take them out or rewrite them nicely on the way out.  It may be that
> some machines are rejecting your mail for having sender lines with two
> @ signs in them.  In that case, a kludge to fix it is to change the
> line that adds the sender stuff to:
> insert_header="Sender: \
> ${if def:ident_sender \
> {$ident_sender@$visible_name}{$from@$visible_name}}
>
> This, combined with the remove_header line above, should get things
> back to the way they were.

This idea sound effective, but I had problems getting smail to take
this, probably because I'm not putting it in the correct place -- where
exactly does this go?

> Hmm... Sender headers really shouldn't be rewritten like this if they
> already exist... Perhaps something like:
> from_field="From: \
> ${if def:ident_sender \
> {$ident_sender@$visible_name} \
> {$sender${if def:sender_name: ($sender_name)}}}
>
> in /etc/smail/config and then nothing dealing with Sender: headers in
> the transports file (neither adding or removing) would be better.

This sounds more artful, and I think I sort of got this to work (it's
as good as it was before, at least -- more on this in a second).
There's a double quote missing from the end.  Thanks, Daniel.

> You may also want to ensure that the visible_name used is something
> other than "localhost", which is what it appears to be set to.
> Unfortunately, the only way I've found to do that (without having a
> name registered with .dyn.ml.org) is to rewrite /etc/smail/config each
> time ip-up is called.  (There's one way of doing that on my webpage
> http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html - after I wrote that page
> I figured out a cleaner method using m4)

I thought I only needed that set visible_hostname to my dynamically
assigned IPA if I needed to be able to be contacted directly there.  I
see one potential conflict with setting my visible_hostname to my
dynamically assigned IPA, and that would be depending on how smart my
smarthost is, bounced mails, as sometimes occur for reasons other than
my Sender: line, may be bounced to my isp after I disconnect, and right
now, that would be a bad thing.  I know that the visible_hostname,
mx[1-4].u.washington.edu, set by allowing the default "set at runtime"
works for mail delivery, because I've tried it, but the dynamically
assigned IPA I'd get would be much different (something like
cs_student_XXX.washington.edu), and I'm afraid to test that, because my
isp is irate with me right now.  What exactly do the RFC's say about
this?

> (One of these days I'm just going to get fed up and write a mailer
> designed for dialup systems which need to rewrite headers on the way
> out and may well have no consistent name - the wonders of free
> software that I won't have to start from scratch...)

I don't know why there aren't provisions made for this in the
traditional MTA's, because dialup networking is probably one of the
most common types of internet connections now.  This should be standard.

I really appreciate your help.  It'd have taken me eons to figure this
out alone.  Thanks, Daniel.
--
David Stern