Re: new hamm nmh breaks header rewriting, isp becomes irate

john@dhh.gt.org writes:

> Daniel Martin writes:
> > You may also want to ensure that the visible_name used is something other
> > than "localhost", which is what it appears to be set to.  Unfortunately,
> > the only way I've found to do that (without having a name registered with
> > .dyn.ml.org)....
>
> I've got a name, but my isp still bounces my mail if I use it, accusing me
> of attempting to use them as a relay.

It's behavior like this that really gets me annoyed with spammers -
things would be so much easier if people with mail servers didn't have
to take these paranoid attitudes.

> > ...is to rewrite /etc/smail/config each time ip-up is called.
>
> I found that setting visible_name to my isp's domain works:
>
> visible_name=win.bright.net

I suppose this works; my problem with it is that then some mail
messages generated locally will appear to have come from some account
at your isp - I suppose this isn't usually something to worry about,
but it just doesn't seem clean...

> > One of these days I'm just going to get fed up and write a mailer
> > designed for dialup systems which need to rewrite headers on the way out
> > and may well have no consistent name...
>
> What does Win95 do?

In general, it makes a lot of assumptions that a machine with a
multiuser OS can't.  In fact, the role smail fills simply doesn't
exist on (most) Win '95 boxes - there is no MTA, and the MUA does both
collection (from pop or imap boxes) and delivery.  (Much in the way
that pine might be used on a unix system without any smtp program).
Win95 also never has to worry about local mail. (with only one user,
where's it gonna go?)

I'm drawing up a list of how I'd like a mail program to behave in my
environment; so far, these are the requirements:
Local mail is just delivered locally; no fuss or hassle about
forwarding local mail on to one's ISP unless that's very explicitly
requested.
Headers (including the RFC822 envelope) are rewritten transparently
and accurately.  This means that, for example, Sender: lines from my
machine would become something like martind@ppp95.hcf.jhu.edu
(i.e. the Sender: line would depend on the dns name of the ip address
the message leaves the machine by), and that the From: line would
match the envelope address, if the From: line was requested to be
rewritten.
Access to outgoing mail can be restricted for certain users; however,
postmaster can opt to receive each bounced message and ok certain
messages for delivery to the rest of the world.
Another machine/other machines can be treated as "local", and not
subject to the rewritting rules.
Mail relaying... I'm not certain what I'd want the behavior to be in
this case - probably just disallow relaying entirely, except to/from
"local" machines.

Can anyone else think of other features the ideal MTA for dialup
machines should have?