Re: error in fdisk/cfdisk ?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 Helmut Leinfellner <e8426331@student.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Hi there !
>
> I've partitioned my hard drive with fdisk / cfdisk this way:
>
> Pri 1 Linux Swap (64 MB)
> Pri 2 Linux native (1200 MB)
> Pro 3 DOS (2 GB)
  ^^^- Should  this be "Pri"?

> Pri 4 Extended DOS (4-part. 800 MB)
>
> When I verify with fdisk it (correctly!) tells me that partition 3 starts
> WITHIN partition 2 !
     Something is obviously broken here!

> As a consequence, DOS can't read the partition and doesn't give the correct
> sizes of partitions 3+4 (only about 249 MB).
>
> It can't use DOS FDISK to correctly set the partitions either, because it
> doesn't even recognize the overall size of the hard drive (4.3 GB) !
>
> What now ?   =:o
>
> Thanks a lot, Helmut

     What is your current status?  Is anything already installed on
this disk?  If not, all partitions should be removed and recreated.

     If some things are installed that need to be saved, it would be
advisable to back them up, and start over.  If you want to try to
repair this instead of replacing it, please send me a copy of the
partition tables from fdisk (including the disk geometry data that
fdisk prints at the top of the partition table) _and_ from DOS fdisk,
noting which partitions have files installed on them.
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@metrolink.net>