Re: Matrox Millenium II again

I have a Matrox Millenium II PCI with 4 MB WRAM. One of the best
resource for information on how to upgrade and configure XFree86 for
the Millenium II is the Web site for the XFree86 Matrox Team at
http://matrox.alloy.net. I got it working with the Matrox Team's
download and installation instructions.

Jeff Alami               Guardian Consulting Services
Senior Consultant                     3911 Fraser St.
E-mail: jalami@gcs.bc.ca        Vancouver, BC V5V 4E5
Web: www.gcs.bc.ca                             Canada

---Antti Arola <Antti.Arola@fmi.fi> wrote:

> Hello Debian-users,
>
> I have installed Debian Linux 1.3.1 (from InfoMagic CD-set dated
> Aug 97). Next I would like to have XFree86 running, but with my
> Matrox Millenium II I have faced some problems (I have Nokia 447Xpro
> terminal with line frequency range from 30 to 96 kHz and refresh
> frequency range from 50 to 150 Hz). I have made extensive search for
> help through newsgroups and several Linux links. It seems that in this
> mailing list there have been discussions about Millenium II as well.
> But it seems to me that there are various ways to deal with this
> problem and as a new Linux user I am a bit confused. XSuSE servers
> have been mentioned, on the other hand somebody says that only latest
> version of XFree86 is needed from XFree86 ftp site (they should have
> experimental version that supports Millenium II).
>
> I have tried XSuSE-server. I strictly followed the instructions in
their
> web-page under "Installation of the XSuSE-X-Server", ie. I
downloaded the
> relevant *.tgz files (both the server and xf86config) and untarred
them as
> instructed. Then I run xf86config. If I then run XF86Setup, while
> selecting card I get an error message. Matrox Millenium II is on the
> list, but apparently cannot be selected.
>
> I would be extremely happy if somebody could write down short step by
> step instructions for the XFree86 installation with Matrox Millenium
II,