Re: RFC1035 and MTA's

Thomas Lakofski <tommy@88.net> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone else was feeling constrained in their choice of
> MTA's on debian because of complaints about RFC1035 and their FQDN.
> Neither smail or exim will work on my system, because, apparently, my
> domain name does not comply to RFC1035 (if this is so, neither does
> 3com.com or 1800flowers.com, etc. etc.).

RFC1912 (Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors) says:

   Allowable characters in a label for a host name are only ASCII
   letters, digits, and the `-' character.  Labels may not be all
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   numbers, but may have a leading digit  (e.g., 3com.com).  Labels must
   ^^^^^^^
   end and begin only with a letter or digit.  See [RFC 1035] and [RFC
   1123].  (Labels were initially restricted in [RFC 1035] to start with
   a letter, and some older hosts still reportedly have problems with
   the relaxation in [RFC 1123].)  Note there are some Internet
   hostnames which violate this rule (411.org, 1776.com).

[...]

   If a domain name is to be used for mail (not involving SMTP), it must
   follow the rules for mail in [RFC 822], which is actually more
   liberal than the above rules.  Labels for mail can be any ASCII
   character except "specials", control characters, and whitespace
   characters.  "Specials" are specific symbols used in the parsing of
   addresses.  They are the characters "()<>@,;:\".[]".  (The "!"
   character wasn't in [RFC 822], however it also shouldn't be used due
   to the conflict with UUCP mail as defined in RFC 976)  However, since
   today almost all names which are used for mail on the Internet are
   also names used for hostnames, one rarely sees addresses using these
   relaxed standard, but mail software should be made liberal and robust
   enough to accept them.

I don't think exim and smail should refuse to work just because
they're trying to be strict (it *is* just possible to run email
without DNS) but I'm not surprised if they don't work.

There's nothing wrong with 3com.com, btw, which upgrading *really* old
DNS servers wouldn't fix.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."