Speak-Freely Problems

I am unable to get Speak-Freely to work on my system.  The sfspeaker
program outputs:

opening audio output device: Device or resource busy

Repeated several dozen times after attempting to communicate with an echo
server.  I realize this means that /dev/audio is still being controlled by
another program, however I don't see a way to fix the problem.

I can also easliy do cat /dev/audio > temp.au; cat temp.au > /dev/audio;
and hear what I spoke into the microphone.....

TIA