Re: Console resolution (Was Viewing bootup message)

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Bill Leach wrote:

> William R. Ward wrote:
> [snip]
> > I've never seen much point in svgatextmode, personally - you can get
> > 80x50 from LILO, isn't that enough?

The 80x50 LILO can give me, also gives me 8x8 pixel characters. Using
SVGATextMode I have 116x51 using 16x9 pixel characters. Readable
characters are enough reason for me.

> I'm all for giving everyone as many options as practical but
> SVGATextMode is one that I plan on leaving off of my system.
>
> Quite fortunately, for me, after running Linux of several flavors for
> years, I finally opted to make xdm start on boot.  Good thing, SVGA Text
> Mode failed miserably (with the default configuration) but of course X
> worked fine.  I even tried booting into single user before playing
> around with SVGA Text Mode just to see if it was possible.  Turns out
> that a serious problem with SVGA Text Mode is about as bad as a problem
> with BASH (assuming BASH is your default shell of course).

But if you haven't configured SVGATextMode properly it shouldn't start at
all at boot time. First configure it and be confident that it really
works on your hardware, then make it start at boot time.

Also, if you are unable to read the console, it still is a console. Log in
blindly and type "stm 80x25", and you should get the default 80x25 mode.

> Additionally, I either never could quite figure the thing out properly
> but when switching to a console under SVGA Text Mode from X the last row
> of pixels was lost on ALL console screens.  To me it just seemed to
> quirky but will readily admit that except for 1) the potental
> inconvenience of not being able to get a console at all and 2) the
> quirky behaviour I experienced going to consoles from X, SVGA Text Mode
> can give you some really wonderful console displays on a high resolution
> monitor.

1) is solved by not doing things too fast, 2) is probably a timing problem
that can be solved by tuning the video mode.

Remco