cron fails following hamm upgrade

Hi,

According to /var/log/syslog, my cron was working all day on Feb 8 (the
day I upgraded to hamm), and stopped working the following morning when
I rebooted.  /var/log/syslog now shows that crontab edits, removals,
and lists work fine, and I've reviewd my crontab entries with
diligence, however restarting crontab consistently "fails":

--------------/var/log/syslog--------------
localhost crontab[951]: (kotsya) LIST (kotsya)
localhost crontab[971]: (kotsya) REPLACE (kotsya)
localhost crontab[971]: (kotsya) END EDIT (kotsya)
localhost /usr/sbin/cron[1520]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
localhost /usr/sbin/cron[1520]: (CRON) STAT FAILED (/etc/cron.d)

One thing that seems unusual is that there is no /etc/cron.d, as syslog
complains (above), so I'm wondering if this may have resulted from the
hamm upgrade.  I've reviewd the upgrade document, but see no mention of
it.  I have all the proper startup scripts in /etc/rc*.d/ for cron
(just like anacron).  Also, anacron works fine.

I've done quite a bit of research on this, including looking at bug reports, change docs, README's, upgrade docs, man pages.  I've updated packages many times since Feb 8. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
--
D a v i d   S t e r n