Re: connecting linux and win95

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, FizzyPop wrote:

> 	'scuse the ignorance but: Is ther a way to transfer files from a win95
> machine to a linux laptop w/o installing linux on both machines?  I just
> installed the base system on the laptop and have been using the win95
> machine to d/l all the packages and then transfering via floppy.  I would
> have hooked the linux laptop to the network and d/l'ed straight onto it but
> my ethernet card is a Xircon CreditCard, unrecognized by the base and hence
> unuseable to install via ftp.
> 	Maybe a serial connection?  Any help on how to pull it off?

You could use a null modem cable to set up either slip or ppp between the
two machines.  I tried, but was unable, to have both dial-up networking
(modem) and another slip  running simultaneously on a Win95 machine,
however.  With 16550 UARTs, 115.2 kb is possible.  Another possibility
would be plip, if there is a suitable Win95 driver for the parallel port
(I don't know if it is supported by the install disks).

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org