Re: Serial Direct Connect

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Just run a getty on the tty. Edit /etc/inittab and copy the line for tty1
> and replace with the correct device name for your serial port. Then as root
> do 'kill -HUP 1'.

PID 1 is init right?? why not `init q` ???

> Greg Green wrote:
>
> > Hello all:
> >
> > Can any one give me advice on how to set up one of my serial ports for a
> > direct terminal connection?
> > All I need is a terminal session at 9600 - 8 - n - 1 for this, and it
> > will not talk to a modem.  I will not be talking DTE to DTE, it will be
> > DCE to DTE via a serial data connection.  I looked on the list of
> > HOW-TO's but the closest thing I saw was a SERIAL-PROGRAMMING HOW-TO.  I
> > think what I need is the SERIAL-HOW-TO.
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg Green

My inittab has:

T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt200

The -L prevents CD requirements.. you can also add a -w to wait for a
Carriage Return... Handy if you forget to turn the terminal on.. :)
the getty manpage has better explanations..

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)