X-Windows Question

I'm pretty embarassed to be asking this question, since I'm sure there's
a simple resolution.  But, here goes:

I have recently tried to follow a better security model, by creating a
user account for myself on my Linux box, instead of doing everything as
root.  In doing so, I have somehow managed to change a setting somewhere
such that I can no longer get X to boot from my user account.  I can
start an X-windows session as root, no problem.

I get the dread:
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=111
        xinit: Connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to X

I have tried setting my "/home/bfulgham/.xserverrc" to start my X
server, both as /usr/X11R6/bin/X and /etc/X11/X, and
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V" and I have set my DISPLAY=:0.0, I have verified
that my X is linked to XF86_S3V and I have skimmed the man pages, but
can't figure out why it works for root, but not for my user account.

I have verified that my /etc/X11/Xsession files allow console (and
finally, all-access), but to no avail.

Anyone have an idea?  I'm sure it's pretty easy...

-Brent