Re: My trials upgrading to hamm/Bad bash 2.01-5 for bo

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Daniel Martin at cush wrote:

> Well, I went and used the autoup script for upgrading bo -> hamm.
> I ran into some problems, which, I suspect, were caused by my
> custom-compiled bash 2.01 package.  As I know that some people on this
> list used that package, since I made it publicly available, I'm
> putting this warning out to people:
> If you are using my bash 2.01-5 package (which I compiled for bo),
> then BEFORE you use the auto-up script, edit the line that says
> DPKG_ARGS and remove the '-E' option.  If you fail to do this, bad
> things will happen.  (Another option is to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status
> and tell dpkg that you have earlier versions of bash and libreadline2
> than it thinks you do).
>
> If you go ahead and use the autoup script despite my warning, the
> postinst of libreadlineg2 will core dump, and you won't be able to use
> bash anymore.  I have a web page describing how I got out of that
> situation (http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/bash/), but I highly
> recommend not getting into that situation in the first place.

Yes, I have unfortunately verified this!  Oh, well, I felt that I needed
to reinstall anyway.  At least bash was working well enough that I was
able to copy a bunch of configuration stuff to floppies (not as much as I
should have, unfortunately, but it helped a lot).

> As an aside, I found it extremely useful in recovering to make ash my
> sh - init can't even finish booting the machine completely if bash
> breaks in the upgrade process.  I wonder if this hint (installing ash,
> moving it to /bin and making it your sh, and then making root's shell
> /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash) should be included in the libc5-libc6
> upgrade howto, under something like "for the paranoid".

I wish I would have thought of that! :^)

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org