My trials upgrading to hamm/Bad bash 2.01-5 for bo

Well, I went and used the autoup script for upgrading bo -> hamm.
I ran into some problems, which, I suspect, were caused by my
custom-compiled bash 2.01 package.  As I know that some people on this
list used that package, since I made it publicly available, I'm
putting this warning out to people:
If you are using my bash 2.01-5 package (which I compiled for bo),
then BEFORE you use the auto-up script, edit the line that says
DPKG_ARGS and remove the '-E' option.  If you fail to do this, bad
things will happen.  (Another option is to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status
and tell dpkg that you have earlier versions of bash and libreadline2
than it thinks you do).

If you go ahead and use the autoup script despite my warning, the
postinst of libreadlineg2 will core dump, and you won't be able to use
bash anymore.  I have a web page describing how I got out of that
situation (http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/bash/), but I highly
recommend not getting into that situation in the first place.

As an aside, I found it extremely useful in recovering to make ash my
sh - init can't even finish booting the machine completely if bash
breaks in the upgrade process.  I wonder if this hint (installing ash,
moving it to /bin and making it your sh, and then making root's shell
/bin/sh instead of /bin/bash) should be included in the libc5-libc6
upgrade howto, under something like "for the paranoid".