Re: removing user from group; vigr -s errors; group policies

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 01:57:38PM +0100, Oskar Liljeblad wrote:
> Is there a simple way of removing a user from a specific group (not knowing
> what other groups the user is in), or is there a debian package that will do

	gpasswd -d user group

	$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/gpasswd
	passwd: /usr/bin/gpasswd

> this? If I modify the /etc/group file directly with vigr, do I have to
> modify the shadowed group file as well? 'vigr -s' gives me these errors:

	Yes.

> oskar:~# vigr -s
> vigr: /bin/ae: Bad address
> vigr: /etc/gshadow is unchanged
> vigr: /bin/ae: No such file or directory
> vigr: /etc/gshadow is unchanged
> -
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? (vigr without the -s switch
> works fine.)

	This looks weird. My hamm version does not seem to do this.
	What versions of passwd and ae do you have installed?
	You might want to file a bug report, or send the file from
	# strace -ff -o /tmp/vigr.trace vigr -s
	in private mail to me.

> What are the purposes of all the default groups? Is there a document
> describing Debian's group policy?

	Some are traditional (daemon,bin,sys), others are used - the
	name should tell you a lot, and find / -group unknowngroup
	the rest. I am not aware of any specific document.
--
tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi - it's a valid address w/o spam | +358-50-5124907
f u cn rd ths, thn u cn rd perl 2 | rm -rf / && echo bye-bye. |           --tv