Re: Login string FUBAR; what package does this?

Ah yes. Welcome to the magic of telnetd/login and getty/login. The first
login: prompt is supplied by your getty/telnetd. When you type in your
login and hit enter, the getty/telnetd execs /bin/login, passing the
username you typed in. If you enter an incorrect login, control does not
pass back to your getty/telnetd but instead /bin/login spits out another
login: prompt. Pretty clever no? (No.) This is rather annoying but this way
of "logging people in" is quite ingrained in unix.

Anyway, I believe /bin/login gets the prompt from /etc/issue. Perhaps a bug
should be filed regarding '\?' substitution.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com