Re: Questions...

Joakim Burman wrote:

> Hi Debian users,
>
> Some "Newbie" questions...
>
> Is... Debian 1.3=stable=bo?

1.3.x is stable (codename is bo)

> Is... Debian 1.3.x=unstable=hamm?

2.0.x is unstable (means changing not buggy).  It is codenamed hamm

> Can I run unstable packages on a bo-kernel?
> Can I run stable packages on a hamm-kernel? (e.g backward-compatible)

The kernel has little to do w/ packages.  I run 2.0.33 on a hamm
system.  The default hamm kernel is also a bo kernel.

What makes hamm different than bo is the new libc.  Most apps are
dynamically linked to this lib.  SO bo packages may not work on hamm,
and hamm packages WILL NOT work on bo.  For you windows people it is
like two different versions of a DLL.