Re: about the FAQ and /etc/init.d

At 00:36 +1030 1998-02-18, John Spence wrote:
>Using "defaults" was supposed to add symlinks for runlevels 2 to 5 but the
>output of the command was the following which seems to indicate that it
>did more than that. I assume that each of the following directories is
>for a specific runlevel:
>
> Adding system startup links pointing to /etc/init.d/jmasq ...
>   rc2.d/S19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc3.d/S19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc4.d/S19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc5.d/S19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc0.d/K19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc1.d/K19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq
>   rc6.d/K19jmasq -> ../init.d/jmasq

S* means, execute with the argument "start"; K* means, execute with the
argument "stop"; so, runlevels 2-5 will "start" the script, and runlevels
0, 1, and 6 will "stop" it.

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker     Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk@espy.org>
<http://www.espy.org/>                            <http://www.debian.org/>