HowTo?: Log Everything -> file

Ok, ok, I haven't posted a Linux-For-Dummies question in quite awhile, so here
goes:

What's the trick to getting into a file all the contents of a console session,
i.e. commands, and the output of commands, into a log file for that session?

I have fooled around with $bash --login > session.txt, but that doesn't grab
everything that goes by on the screen. I'm sure this is hidden somewhere in my
dog-eared copy of _Running Linux_, but I'll be ding-danged if I can find it.

TIA

Bob Bernstein                 bernie@brainiac.com
at
Esmond, R.I.       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie