Question - Hamm, Mgetty, PPP, wtmp - Arrgh!

I have three dial-in modems on my hamm box.  They are all identical
USR Couriers AFIAK, and their configuration *appears* to be the same.
But one port always shows connect speed in wtmp, and the others do not:

mystic:~$ finger
Login     Name        Tty  Idle  Login Time   Office     Office Phone
jeff      Jeff Noxon  *C2        Feb 16 12:09 (C2)
pierre    Pierre      *C1 23:48  Feb 15 13:11 (31200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS)

Both users are logged in via AutoPPP with mgetty.  C2 is also the DNS
name for the ip address associated with the PPP session.  The user
"Pierre" is in a different domain, "pnhl.com."

I would like to get the speed info on my other dial-in ports, but I can't
figure out what the difference is.  Can anyone make any wild guesses or
tell me where I should look, besides /etc/mgetty/* ?

Back when I ran bo, I got connect speeds for all three modems.  My hamm
packages are all 100% up-to-date.

Thanks,

Jeff