Re: wtmp

Hello Dennis,
=============

dpk wrote:

> I have seen posts on this before, but can't seem to find them in the
> mail archives.  I upgraded to libc6 (hamm), deleted /var/adm/lastlog,utmp,
> wtmp - rebooted.  As root I touched these files, did a 'login', and
> I then appeared in the 'last' command.  However, when I logout, 'last'
> is blank again.

I think I was the last one who posted some question on similar problem
to this list. Well, you HAVE to upgrade all packages from
hamm/binary-i386/base/ (of course just those you have presently
installed), especially the util-linux, login, passwd, sysvinit and other
which contain commands like last, lastb, w, who, login and so on.
Unfortunately, I did upgrade Debian on our school server only, at home I
still use the stable distribution, and because some of these programs
have moved between various packages, I am not quite sure which packages
do you really need to upgrade at the moment. But as I wrote - upgrade
from packages at base directory.

Then, issue these commands _in the order as they are written here_:

1) cd /var/log
2) mv wtmp wtmp.libc5
3) touch wtmp
4) cd /var/run
5) rm -f utmp
6) cp /dev/null utmp
7) shutdown -r now

First time I forgot to create the utmp files and the problem was not
completely resolved, so I tried it once more exactly in this order and
it seems to work fine.

I hope it helps. If not - just e-mail...

Everything the best
Peter

P.S.: To Jeremy Tregunna: THANKS A LOT!

--