Re: Compute Farm

Hi all,

Except cfengine there is another hopefully better because debian specific
solution I discovered recently installing hamm. I mean

# dpkg --root=/another_machine_root_dir <deb_file>

Think about the great possibilities it gives! Let's assume

# mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/DebianFarm
# for i in $FarmMachineNames ; do {
>    mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/DebianFarm/$i;
>    mount -t nfs $i:/ /var/lib/dpkg/$i
> }; done

Then we can at any time do:

# for i in $FarmMachineNames ; do
> dpkg --install --root=/var/lib/dpkg/DebianFarm/$i <deb_package>;
> done

Of course it doesn't eliminate cfengine because such scripts may serve
only for instalation purposes. But installing the full system takes at
least an hour counting from the first dselect start. In this particular
case it allows to save 200 hours.

BTW, it appears to be neccessary to have a possibility of using dselect
to choose packages and resolve all conflicts/dependencies and then export
package names IN PROPER ORDER (this is probably one of hamm's bugs) to a
file which could be an argument for the script proposed above. Is it
possible?

--  Jerzy Kakol