RE: Compute Farm, Part II

That shouldn't be hard....
Have you though tof using 1 or 2 computers as fileservers?
After a quick read of teh FHS (filesystem standard)
the setup is made to allow the shareing of large parts of the filesystem
between
computers.
Then anytime you add a program to the system (usually in /usr/bin etc)
it is added to all of them
as it is you will probably want to share the home directories for users
anyway
/usr itself can not only be shared...but can be mounted READ ONLY
to prevent its destructiuon (you would want it writeable maybe on one or
two machines so that you can administer it)
of course the main problem is if the fileserver computer fails...
but there should be solutions for that too...
I havn;'t done much myself with it...
it would probably mean using NFS or some other system that allows
shareing between computers
A great setup that I remember from when I was upgrading the computers at

a large department store (big rollout) was that they had
2 computers acting as the main servers...
1 just mirrored the main one..and if the main one went down..the
"Alternate" took over
...and the rest of the store didn't even know the difference
I don't know how hard that would be to setup....but it should be
possible
from what I know...
RedHat's system is mainly to set 1 machine up and have an easy way to
clone it
(I believ ethey call it kickstart...you do the setup once...then just
pop it in and walk
away...it dows the install automatically)
as for the "Change 1 config file"
that could be done too...
you wouldn'tr want to share /etc tho...because then that shares
everything...which isn't always good
(wouldn't want them all to have the same IP adress)
tho you could mount a shared version of etc and have the shared configs
be sym links to the shared mounted version
but...im just pulling these ideas off the top of my head...
bottom line is it can be done...its just a matter of how you want to do
it and what your needs are exactly
I mean...you don't really want every system running servers (or do you?)

I dunno...just my $.02