Re: Automating PPP with cron?

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 18:03:00 +0400, "Timothy M. Hospedales" wrote:
> Sounds like a dooable crack.
>
> I see a cron.daily, weekly & monthly directory in /etc, with scripts in it,
> which I presume get executed daily weekly and month respectively.
> I'de like it to run every 6 hours. I tried read the cron & cron tab manpages,
> but I'm still clueless as to how to do this.... I can't find any howto's on
> this either. :(.
>
> Any pointers to doc files, (or actual help:), on this subject?

For things I might forget, I like to put reminder remarks in my files
and align the columns for easy reading.  This is the for the system
crontab, but the columns should be the same for all users (except for
the `user' column, obviously).

--------------------
# m h  dom mon dow       user    command
 21 21 *   *   *         root    run-parts /etc/cron.daily
 31 21 *   *   0         root    run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
 41 21 1   *   *         root    run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
--------------------

m	minutes (0-59)
h	hour (0-23)
dom	day of month (0-32)
mon	month (1-12 or jan-dec)
dow	day of week (0-6 or sun-sat)

commas may separate entries like so:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /home/kotsya/.checkformail 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null

asterisks of course match all

--
D a v i d   S t e r n