Re: Dial Script

Behan Webster wrote:

> Tim Sailer wrote:
> >
> > I have a web page that people can use to page me on my numeric pager.
> > It uses a very stupid program (npage) to dial the phone. I was wondering
> > if someone has a better way, maybe perl, chat, a well written C program,
> > etc. to do this.
>
> I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but the hylafax
> program includes support for sending both faxes and pages.  Hylafax is a
> very cool system once you get it working.
>
> It might be too much for your needs however.

Yup.. I know Hylafax.. since it was FlexFax.. I was a beta tester for
Sam Leffler on $CO Unix many years ago. It's way overkill for my needs.
Right now, the command line I run to page myself looks like:

beep -n 555-1212,,,,555-1313 /dev/ttyS1

This will dial 555-1212, pause for 2 secs, (hoping the other end picks up)
and enters 555-1313 as the number that will show up on the pager. The program
has no concept of busy, no dialtone, etc... it looks for nothing from the
modem.. it just talks blind to it. Maybe I'll rape some code out of
mgetty.. dunno...

Tim

PS: Maybe kermit can be coerced into doing this..

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
              "Paranoia is a heightened state of awareness."