Re: xemacs 20.3 slow load

Gerald Wann <photonuv@kudos.net> writes:

> Hi- Many thanks to those who have commented thus far on the xemacs
> slow load post.
>
> Being relatively new to Linux, i am still slogging thru the process
> of analyzing why the load takes so long on my machine.
>
> In particular, i have just run an strace on the program as it loads,
> and it gives me about 280k worth of text file on the system calls,
> many of which are mysterious to a newbie like me.
>
> If find particularly interesting any lines in the file where a
> timeout occurs. I have attached a snippet below, which is repeated
> many times in the load process. Could anyone shed light on just what
> is happening here?
>
> I will continue to try and understand & analyze the file in the meantime.

<snip>

Hmm... - it appears that xemacs is attempting to do a dns lookup, and
that's the connection that's taking so long.  If you had a bo machine,
I'd ask you what your /etc/host.conf said, (and make certain it had
the line "order hosts,bind" at the top) but I know that in hamm the
configuration for name lookups has changed a bit - does anyone know
what you need to do on a hamm box to be certain that gethostbyname()
doesn't produce a dns query if a given name is found in /etc/hosts?