Re: Checking mail from several ISPs

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Ian Perry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have set up a Debian system to allow several computers to utilise the one
> internet modem line using  IP masquerade, and would like to get linux to
> check several email accounts at different ISPs, and route them to a
> mailbox, for the relevant win95 desktop to pick them up automatically, at
> say 10 minute intervals, while online.
>
> There are several email addresses going to several desktops, but there are
> no repeated email addresses.
>
> e.g
>
>    	collected mail for     abc@isp1.com ---->   postbox for machine A
>    	collected mail for     def@isp2.com ----> postbox for machine A
>    	collected mail for     ghi@isp3.com ---> postbox for machine B
>
> Then the individual machines pick up their mail from the respective
> postboxes
>
> Linux is on a dial up connection so the IP never remains constant, so ppl
> sending email direct to the machine is not possible.
>
> Can anyone give me some ideas of where to start, and which packages may be
> of use ?
>
> I looked for some howto's but nothing really covers this.

Somewhere in the ip-up chain, issue this command,

	fetchmail -d 300 --invisible

and in ip-down,

	fetchmail -q

Then in root's home dir, create .fetchmailrc:

poll isp1.com proto pop3
	user abc pass password is box1 here
poll isp2.com proto pop3
	user def pass password is box2 here
poll isp3.com proto pop3
	user ghi pass password is box3 here

You should be able to figure out what needs to be changed for your setup.
Obviously, you need fetchmail installed.

I also recommend running exim, and not smail/sendmail.  This way, you could
have the masqueraded machines point their smtp mailer to linux, and have it
the mail either delivered immediately if online, or have it queued if offline.
Smail doesn't work in that instance, and I don't know sendmail.

This is my setup here, except that I only have one user(me!).

Adam