Re: Installation problem

José Manuel Santiago wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is Jose M. Santiago, from Barcelona, Spain.
>
> I got the Debian Linux a few weeks ago in CD-ROM, and I'm having a
> severe problem that prevents me to install it.
> I start booting from the CD drive, the "boot:" prompt appears, I press
> ENTER, and the installation begins with the messages:
>   Uncompressing linux .....
>   Now booting the kernel
>
> After that, I get the screen full of messages that I can't read because
> the screen blanks out immediately, and the system reboots (starting by
> the memory test).
> >>From the list of messages that fill the screen, I think that the last
> one is something like "Calibrating the loop".
> I have noticed that the CD-ROM is accessed just before the reset.

This indicates that the kernal is loading from your hard drive and
begins execution.  I'd start by booting from the rescue disk, mount
the root partition, exit to shell and edit /target/etc/init.d/* adding
an echo "Starting <filename>" at the beginning followed by a sleep 3
so that you can see which of your init scripts are working and which
is in progress when the system reboots.  Also have a look at
/etc/inittab
to see what your default run level is set to.  This is set by a line
like id:3:initdefault: near the top.  You can put echos only in the
appropriate init.d files by looking at /etc/rc3.d (for example)and
see that S10sysklogd links to /etc/init.d/sysklogd, etc.  Then let the
list know what your results are and we'll proceed.

> In order to solve the problem, I've been doing some tests,
> unsuccessfull:
>  - Installing from diskette.
>  - Remove expansion cards: sound card and internal modem.
>  - Disable the HDD.
>  - Disabling several switches from the BIOS Setup.
>
> Technical Data:
>  - Debian Linux 1.3, kernel 2.0.29
>  - Computer:
>    - Mother board: Iwill P55XB2
>    - Processor: Pentium 166 MMX
>    - RAM: 16M SDRAM (DIMM) + 16M EDO RAM (SIMM)
>    - BIOS: Award ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A59II3A)
>    - CD-ROM: Cyberdrive 120D IDE/ATAPI
>    - HDD: Quantum BigFoot 2.5G, with  Ontrack Disk Manager installed.
>    - Video: S3 Virge 3D 86C325 (FVGAP-S34.2E PCI VGA)
>  - Important BIOS switches :
>    - Virus protection disabled.
>    - All RAM Shadow disabled.
>    - Advanced Power Management disabled.
>    - 15M-16M memory hole disabled.
>
> I can provide any other information you need.
>
> I would appreciate any help you can give me.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards.
> Jose M.
>
> --