Re: xemacs 20.3 slow load

On Fri, Feb 06, 1998 at 06:44:29AM -0500, Gerald Wann wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I am experimenting with xemacs 20.3 on debian linux 2.0.29 machine
> w/ AMD K6 200MHz / 32M RAM. It takes xemacs about a full minute
> to load in xwindows. Anyone else experience such a prolonged load
> wait, or is it just me (& 20.3 ;-)?

While others have answered this question, there's a way to get xemacs
to load instantly (if you have the memory). I run the following script
when starting fvwm95:

bin/fvwminit:
#!/bin/sh
<other programs>
xemacs -unmapped -eval '(gnuserv-start)' &

by having the following in my .fvwm2rc95

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+                       "I" Exec bin/fvwminit

..and

AddToMenu "Utilities" "Utilities" Title
<stuff>
+ "XEmacs slave%mini-edit.xpm%"         Exec gnudoit "(make-frame-on-display \"$
DISPLAY\")"

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/