kernel-panic !!!

Hi everybody !

I´m using Debian 1.3.1. from the german computer magazin "Chip"
and have a very misterious problem when I want to build / compile
a customize kernel. On every time I use "make zImage" after about 5
minutes
I get an error like " command as86 (also ld86) not found , leaving
directory ./linux/arch/i386/boot, [bootsect.o] Error 127, [zImage] Error

2" . And the process aborts without anything done. When I use "make
bzImage" the end is the same.
I tryed it with many configurations and kernel sources ( 2.0.29 - 2.0.33

). But nothing work. I also edited the Makefile in that directory and
comment out the lines with this operations. Then I get only errors
like "unknown ( or invalid ) processor command ". Then I probed to
rename
the files /usr/i486-linuxaout/bin/as and ld to as86 and ld86 or create
a link from the directory named above to these files. It didn´t
work. I used "make menuconfig" because "make xconfig" didn´t work.
But X with the KDE display manager works fine. All the required links
should
be ok. I didn´t have any *.rej after that or a file /usr/bin/encaps
( a tip from the S.u.S.e online support database ) ." Make dep" and "
make
clean" worked correct. I don´t know what could it be. Perhaps has
somebody other an idea or can help me in any way (but I don´t want to do
an BIOS update). I had a problem like this also with an older Slackware
distribution.
Then I have an another problem with kdm. Since few days it doesn´t work
and I don´t no why.
The problem is that I don´t get any error messages or entrys in
log-files or so on. The programm just don´t do anything. I can type in
"xdm" and after 1 or 2 seconds I see the prompt again. That´s all ! On
reason could be that the file /etc/init.de/xdm has 0 byte and is empty.
Does somebody know from where I can get an installation package ? On the
CD or the Debian ftp-Server I didn´t found it.

greetings
Lothar

Some informations about my system :
=========================
harddisk : Seagate ST52520A ; 2.5 GB (IDE)
board : Octek Rhino 9 HX PCI
graphic : Matrox Mystique (yes ... ) 2 MB
processor : Cyrix 6x86 P166 + Rev. 2.7
other : Soundblaster 16 PnP ( ... ) and Hauppauge WinTV/pci ( also
called as WinCastTV)
Win95b on a primary partition (hda1) and Linux on a logical partition
(hda5 and hda6)
LILO in MBR
Award PnP PCI-Bios v. 4.51PG 1996

Some Debian informations :