.config options differ between dists

I asked a question recently about the differences in .config and thought
that the difference related to kernel versions.  But i've just had a look
at another dists' /usr/src/linux/.config  file which uses the same kernel
version as me and it is different.

The differences relate to the details of the sound options. It seems on my
Deb system the sound options are stored elswhere but in the "other dist"
they are all stored in the .config file.

Previous to this I thought that Linux kernel source and various makefiles
were identical from one dist to another.  Are there any other areas
kernel-wise that distributions differ?

/usr/src/linux-2.0.32/.config  file-sound-options for S/B Pro
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_AUDIO=y