[no subject]

Hello,

I have installed Debian 1.3.1, but find myself without /dev/cdrom as a block
device (at the driver selection stage, nothing fitted my Mitsumi 12x, which I
ad run under an "iso9660" on my previous slakware distribution).

What is a block device, and how to get the cd recognised?

Also - I loaded the packages off the sunsite at imperial college; it turns out
that the Latex I picked up had a 1 year-old bug in it (\noindent did not work
inside a quote environment). Is there a way of telling whether that is
generally a problem with the Debian 1.3.1 distribution, or just that that
mirror had not been updated in that directory?

Thank you

Tony