Re: libpam0g

On 6 Feb 1998, James Troup wrote:

> You don't need to use --force-depends.
>
> 15:09:42@hades| ~/temp $sudo dpkg -iEG libpam0g_0.57b-0.deb libpam0g-util_0.57b-0.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package libpam0g.
> (Reading database ... 30225 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libpam0g (from libpam0g_0.57b-0.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package libpam0g-util.
> Unpacking libpam0g-util (from libpam0g-util_0.57b-0.deb) ...
> Setting up libpam0g-util (0.57b-0) ...
> Setting up libpam0g (0.57b-0) ...
>
> 15:10:29@hades| ~/temp $

Thanks for the info.  I was installing them one at a time... maybe I need
more work with dpkg! :)  However one of the reasons I enjoy Debian is that
I don't have to spend so much time in administration. (I do it for 10
hours a day with Solaris and don't have much time when it comes to my
home machine)

> > Or, even better yet, combine them into one package since they both
> > need each other?
>
> That's a possibility but as I was doing a non-maintainer release I was
> not prepared to do this.
>
> I am also loath to resort to a technically inferior solution simply
> because some users can't cope with the concept of circular
> dependencies, after all dpkg and dselect handle them just fine.
I would have to agree.

> --
> James

Dennis
--
dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu>, Network Administrator   |  work: 353.4844
Division of Engineering Computing Services     |  page: 222.5875