question about wget and proxies

I tried to downloed some files with wget ftp. wget is always responsing
"No route to host". I'm stuck behind a firewall of my provider. http
download works fine, and ftp proxy vars are set like the http proxy
vars. Any Idea?

btw. is their a ftp-client package with proxy support? Is it possible to
chat over a firewall? (tf is able to do such thing!)

And why does netscape-3.01 gunzip all .gz and .tgz files???
(Not fair if you download a orig.tar.gz file!)

jenne