Re: /dev/cua? and /dev/ttyS?

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, robert havoc pennington wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, impale wrote:
> > What is the difference between /dev/cua? and /dev/ttyS? ?
> >

> See the PPP HOWTO for one explanation. Essentially cua? is obsolete,
> ignore it and use ttyS?.
>
> Havoc Pennington

Okay, I'm pretty new to linux but I have my version up and running on my
laptop just fine and I can say this about /dev/cua*

It is NOT obsolete. The only way that I can connect to my modem (which is
a pcmcia card) is through /dev/cua1. I tried many times to connect to my
ISP through /dev/ttyS1, 2, 3 (it should be 1 because that is what the com
port is) and nothing happened. When I switched to /dev/cua1 everything
worked.

	- John Kloss