re: cable modem (was question)

I installed the dhcpcd package, pluged rj45 into the modem and the
card, and it worked (note: dhcpCd not dhcpd). It helped that I had
compiled a kernel with the ehternet drivers.

Be sure to check with you cable co that they use 'dhcp' and not some
proprietary gunk.

the tech's comment: "Wow that was easier then a mac with built in
ethernet"

--
Stephen Gregory