Re: Win95 and Linux: Was: Verified Re: Unidentified subject!

Michael Beattie wrote:

> > > I think I read somewhere that DOS/Windows has a habit of making the Boot
> > > partition look like C: So when you boot Win95 it is on C: and Win3.11 on D:,
> > > then booting win3.11 swaps this... I cant remember where I read it or I'd
> > > tell you :)
> > >
> > In the case where Partition Magic is in the mix, the boot partition is
> > the one where PM is by itself (a small partition) and then it activates
>
> PM or the Boot manager?

I'm sorry: I meant Boot Manager -- I sometimes abbreviate it BM and
miss-keyed that time.

> > the partition you select to boot. If you select Win95, then that
> > partition becomes the c: partition and the next partition (in my case,
> > the msdos partition where I want to put Win 3.1) becomes d: and the
> > linux partition is of questionable status, probably UNKNOWN as far as
> > either Win 95 or 3.1 is concerned.
>
> Sounds right... and when you boot 3.1 it brings it too the front and calls
> it C: ?? win95 d: - linux unknown ?? I guess win95's FAT32 would be unknown
> to win3.1 too...

That's been a problem too: the Win 3.1 partition won't boot, but I
hesitate to make too much of that since this is off-topic for this list.

> > > IMHO I think LILO is a perfectly good boot manager... If it is set up
> > > right... I have absolutely stuffed a win95 partition with it before..
> > > But then again, what operating systems can LILO boot??? I only have
> > > DOS/Win95 and Linux.
> >
> > Sounds as if you're suggesting using LILO as my overall boot manager
> > rather than the Boot Manager that can be installed by Partition Magic?

> > > Partition Magic does a good, no excellent job.. I had no problems
> > > whatsoever.
> > >

> > Even moving a Win 95 installation in a FAT32 partition?
>
> That I havent tried... but since PM has FAT32 Support, it should work??

<grin> So I come back to the warning in the Partition Magic manual and
also in the Linux install HOW-TO: be sure to back up all the data first.
:)

--
--David E. Scott      Ohio Administrative Services
DaveScott@1000islands.com       acq_scott@ohio.gov