Re: lp command for Linux

On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 07:38:46AM -0500, hockensb@ncr.disa.mil wrote:
> I just installed Linux distributed by Debian which was packaged on the
> bootDisc CD-ROM. I tried to use the lp command and got the error message
> command not found. I am an inexperienced UNIX user. I don't recall doing
> anything during the install process to configure the printer. Could I have
> skipped over it and that is why there is no "lp" command?

There is no "lp" command in Debian, but there is an "lpr" command, available
from the "lpr" and "lprng" packages.

> If this is the case, do I have to do a complete re-install including the
> default packages?

No. You can start "dselect", point it to your CD, and select for example the
"lpr" package for install. "dselect" will skip packages that are already
installed.

HTH,
Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks