Re: ssh vs. rsh

Reply to: goodwid@peak.org
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:51:54 -0800
From: David Goodwin <goodwid@lazarus.feather.net>

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:23:41 MST Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:

>With ssh you arrange for cryptographic authentication between two
>untrusting hosts on a per user basis. Each user lists their own public
>keys in their allow file and can then put their password into one machine
>and magically be authenticateable on all other machines.
>
>The big benifit with ssh is that it can allow an untrusted host (ie your
>machine on PPP) to connect to any of their servers without the hassle of
>passwords.

I've been trying to set up connections between my linux box and my ISP like this
for a few days, with no luck.  I've gen'd keys for each machine, and swapped
public keys, but when I ssh in to my local box from my ISP (when I'm at work,
I have to go Work -> ISP -> Linux), it asks me for my passphrase, which is many
times longer than my login password.  How do I do password-less ssh?

David Goodwin                                     http://www.peak.org/~goodwid
Salem, Oregon, USA                               mailto://goodwid@peak.org <*>