Re: Network config -- slip + null modem

     (My original post, requesting assistance configuring slip over a
null modem, and the responses recommending ppp instead are omitted to
save bandwidth.)

     Thanks again to all.  My link is now working perfectly.

     The pppd man page mentions the <tty_name> option as requiring
pppd to make a ppp connection using the specified device, but does not
mention that pppd will then read the file /etc/ppp.  README.linux and
the comments in the file /etc/ppp/options.ttyXX included with the
distribution document this, but I think the manpage should cover it as
well.

     I am still puzzled about my failure with the slip method
described in the NET-3-HOWTO, and why the HOWTO doesn't mention this
simple ppp method.

Bob