Re: mount: only root can do that??

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, David Wright wrote:

> > However, when mount is not setuid root, only root can mount filesystems.
> > Any user, whether a member of the floppy group or not, gets this:
> >
> > $ mount /floppy
> > mount: must be superuser to use mount
> > $
> >
> > Note that the error is a different one. But it is still an error.
>
> Only superuser can mount filesystems (see (iii) again). So that error
> message is correct. Either you must be superuser, or you must be running
> a program with root privilege.
>
> > The relevant entry in /etc/fstab reads:
> >
> > /dev/fd0   /floppy   msdos  defaults,noauto,user,umask=077   0   0
> >
> > All the /dev/fd0* devices have these permissions:
> >
> > brw-rw----   1 root     floppy     2,   0 Jan  9 15:05 /dev/fd0
> >
> > Does anybody know what's going wrong on my computer? I think it worked
> > once for me, but I am not sure how I did it then and how long ago it was.
>
> Doesn't look like anything is wrong.

But what I want is this:

1 root can mount anything
2 users in group floppy can mount the floppy drive
3 users not in group floppy can not mount the floppy drive

Of course, 1 is always true. But I can't get 2 and 3 at the same time.
Either mount is setuid and then all users can mount the floppy, or it is
not setuid and then only root can mount the floppy.

Now, how can I do that?

Remco