Re: X-Windows questions

Markus Lechner <Markus.Lechner@munich.netsurf.de> writes:

> What other Window-Managers are available?
> Which of them are not beta?
> Which of them are how stable?

If you mean debian packages, just use dselect and check the x11
section. Or go to www.debian.org -> Packages.

> Whats the thing with those color-tables (Afterstep needs a lower
> resolution than fvwm with the same
> amount of colors, right)?

You can run X with different colordepths. With 16 bpp (=highcolor) you
don't have any problems. You need 2 MB ram on the card to run 1024x768 at
16 bpp. And I believe your card has enough ram to do this

> And when i open many pictures under X-Windows, it sometimes happens
> (during excessive swaping) that the computer does a hard-reset.

Maybe a software watchdog. But then Linux would shutdown cleanly, not with
a reboot. Besides that, I believe the watchdog isn't activated on a fresh
bo system.

> Ctrl-Alt-Fx is neccessary to switch back from X to another terminal and
> Alt-Fx
> can only be used when switching between text-terminals. Why?

Maybe to allow programms to use alt-Fx as hotkeys.

> switches off after a few seconds). Since i use the Kernelv2.0.32 this
> problem vanquished.

Strange. The kernelversion shouldn't have any influence on X. Maybe it was
something else you changed.

> I'd like to run X-Windows on almost every Terminal (except the first
> one) on my Computer.

I wouldn't do that. Nearly all windowmanager allow the use of multiple
desks. So you can enlarge your desktop to any size you want.

Ciao,
	Martin