Re: [Q] dselect-mountable install does not find packages

On 24 Jan 1998, Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> I don't understand your response.

next time I won't answer after 4:30am :-]

> > > Packages.gz is supposed to be in binary-i386.
> >
> > (there's a link from one step down to binary-i386)
>
> Where?  I just scoped out ftp.debian.org, and it, like my mirror, has
> Packages.gz in binary-i386.  No symlinks there.
>
> > > Oh!  Are you not mirroring binary-all?  A lot of the "packages" in
> > > binary-i386 are actually links to binary-all.

Hmm, so I checked and it's not there. I recalled that there was a
/debian/hamm/hamm/Packages.gz -> binary-i386/Packages.gz link... perhaps
it was just an illusion. Sorry.

> > If I didn't mirror it I wasn't able to install most of the stuff. :)
>
> Huh?  Are you saying that of course you are mirroring binary-all since
> you installed a lot of packages which require it?

Yes. This is a working mirror since I installed 4 whole systems from it,
and all of the docs are in binary-all, and they're symlinked into i386. So
this is not a problem.

> Have you checked to see that some of the packages dselect is
> complaining about are in place on your mirror, either in binary-i386

Yes. Two things:
1) All of the packages about to upgrade or install were reported as
missing
2) All of them installed successfully by hand.

> what is going on.  Have you tried dselect's "mounted" method?  The

Well, it would run for half an hour or so, so better not... It worked last
time, though.

bye,
peter