Re: Why is debian "more of a learning curve" than Redhat???

On 24-Jan-1998, David E. Scott <DaveScott@1000islands.com> wrote:
> grin wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, George Bonser wrote:
> >
> > > I think it is because of the conflict resolution screen and the fact that
> > > Debian offers more alternatives than Red Hat.   Maybe there are TOO MANY
> > > alternatives offered for a new install.
> >
> > Well, dselect should perhaps start with "--newbie" switch :) offering
> > 'typical installs' of some kind. Many users scared off because the some
> > hundred packages selection screen.
>
> Amen!! - I installed RedHat with no problem at all, but Debian has
> continued to be rather user-unfriendly. I've installed hundreds of Mac
> and Windows applications, and both have a much better user interface
> than either RedHat or Debian, IMHO.
> Dave

Well, I've installed hundreds of Debian packages, and only been told
to reboot once (and it was just a suggestion), and never had pacakges
interfere with each other, crash the machine, refuse to install without
the installation CD, overwrite each other's libraries, add themselves
to *any* menu system you're using, etc.

Dselect isn't perfect, and a replacement is under active development,
but it's a bit unfair to compare it to the Windows "click ok to install,
and cross your fingers!". It's a different beast. It gives you plenty
of flexibility, but of course flexibility costs you in complexity.
It's also a bit unfair to compare to RedHat, because they have
so many fewer packages and alternatives.

Perhaps you could explain why you think the Mac/Win UI is better?
Is it just prettier, or is there some way in which it is a "better"
interface for doing the job?
As far as I can see (the Windows installer) just covers your screen,
tells you to kill all your other processes, shows you some cryptic disk
space graphs (and some crappy graphics) as it copies files, gives you
nice "next" buttons, then offers to reboot for you.  Debian wouldn't
need the reboot, the warnings, or the useless graphs. Perhaps the next
buttons could stay.

But if Windows were to allow you to install 27 packages at once, offered
to download them, informed you of dependencies at the same time, and
warned you if removing a package would cause trouble with other
packages, you could be certain the windows installer/uninstaller would
have more complex dialogs as well.

I'll agree things could be improved, but Mac/Windows is simply NOT the
way to go.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #  Surreal humour isn't eveyone's cup of