Permissions, gid, & mount?

I'm trying to mount an msdos partition so that users logged into Linux can
create files on it. I only have luck if I set gid=(group for a given user) as
an option for the mount command.

For instance, users bernie and bobbern belong to group 'users'. If I set
gid=100 (group 'users' gid) then user bernie cannot, say, copy files to the
mounted msdos partition. But if I set gid=1000 (user 'bernie' gid), then
bernie can copy files to the mounted partition. In both cases I use a mount
option 'umask=002', which gives 'group' permission to create and delete files,
does it not?

Last question: do the permissions (and/or group/owner) set for the mount point
prior to mounting have anything to do with this? (Just in case I set them to
drwxrwxr-x, which should give group create and delete permission.)

I know this is basic Linux 101 stuff, but it's got me stumped!